Tuesday 8 December 2009

Life through a lens - Tribute Tuesday, my sister Emma


For those that know me and my family you'll know that I'm the eldest of 7 kids. Yes I know in the photo above there are three kids missing but do you know what? I don't think there are many photos of us all together, maybe wedding photos and at the moment I'm feeling too lazy to get the wedding album out and then the scanner out.

I've thought long and hard on how to go about my Tribute Tuesdays, I don't want to offend any of my siblings or family but how exactly is the best way to go about choosing who is next? So I've opted for my siblings to go in age order and after that I'll do my Grandparents and then Aunts (alphabetically I think is safest) and then cousins. Next will be my extended family and after that we'll see who is next. And of course I'm saving the best to last with my wonderful husband Daz and my son Callum.

So this weeks Tribute Tuesday is to my sister Emma.



Emma is 3 years younger than me and while we've always had a rocky relationship as sisters we've still had plenty of fun moments together. She has two beautiful children, Eloise and Alex but I'll do a separate post for them.

Some memories I have from my childhood of Emma:

  • The time while playing Hide-and-Seek and she hid in my bedroom. We had all given up looking for her but she hadn't heard that. She was in my room sitting on this tall chest I had right by the bedroom door... and the light switch. The door to my bedroom rather than being one of those that opened into the room was one that opened out. You can imagine my shock when I went up to my bedroom to get something, opened the door which felt a little stiff and then heard a yelp and cry. Emma had been holding onto the door handle and when I gave it a tug to open I had yanked her off the top of the chest of drawers, thrown her across the room and caught her head on the light switch. Notice how it was my fault? lol. Well Emma ended up at hospital having to have stitches while I had to stay at home and listen to my Auntie Ida tell me how bad a sister I was and how it was all my fault. Hello?!?! My bedroom?!?!? Finished the game?!?! Oh well Emma forgave me.
  • She always loved to make Mud cakes in the garden but use Mum's best pots and pans.
  • Borrowing a red nail varnish of mine and then denying she had used it... although she had red nail varnish over her duvet cover.
  • Oh Emma do you remember that wedding dress you originally bought? And the musical garter? I think enough said but I still chuckle at the garter.
  • The time we were on holiday in Ireland and you got bitten by that horse on the chest or was it the back. Anyhow it was just a few days after you had been bitten by that dog on the back/chest and you had matching bite marks on the back and chest.

I could probably do a hundred more childhood memories but I'll leave it at those... OK one more...

  • The time I came home from Brownies and Mum said her and Dad had to rush you up to A&E as you'd swallowed some paracetamol. We had Valerie and Ron come in and look after us while Mum and Dad took you up to Harold Wood where they gave you this ghastly medicine to make you throw up. I remember hearing afterwards how they kept you in over night for observation and that you spent the whole time running up and down the ward with a toy pushchair. lol.

Thanks for being a great sis Emma.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha thanks for the memoreis but do you relse that it was always me ending up at a&e

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! You just wanted atttention. :P ;)

    ReplyDelete