Tuesday 1 December 2009

Life through a lens - Tribute Tuesday, my Dad


This weeks Tribute Tuesday is dedicated to my Dad.



Apparently when I was very little and I was either ill or upset and my Dad wasn't home I'd go sit upstairs on the toilet crying "Daddyyyy come home pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee." I think maybe that sums up how I feel about my Dad. Sure aged 36 years old I don't do that now but he is still the person whose advice I always seek. He can be a miserable sarcastic so and so but underneath it all you really know he's a big softie. If you cut part of your finger off and need taking to A&E urgently he's a good person to have, he'll just take the complete pee out of you for doing something so daft. If you're at a nightclub miles from home and get thrown out for throwing up everywhere you can count on him to come and pick you up and drive you home although you'll get the silent treatment.



When I was younger I sat my cycling proficiency test. The bike I had was an old hand me down from my cousins who had at the time just emigrated to Australia. I was terrible at riding a bike. As well as having to pass the test my bike also had to pass, something it wasn't going to do. I got sent home with pages of things that needed to be fixed on the bike and by the morning. What would any father do? He stayed up till the early hours fixing that bike. The next day came and it was the final day and the day of the tests. I was abysmal but my bike was sparkling and like new. I felt really bad that I was going to fail as my Dad had been up so late fixing the bike... so I told the examiners what my Dad had done... and somehow I passed. Maybe this is where I should say that my Dad isn't one of those handy men Dads. If you need a letter written or a university essay done he's your guy but changing a plug... go to my Mum. Anyhow I passed that test and promptly rode my sparkling bike all the way home using the road not the pavement. Sadly as mentioned I wasn't very good at riding a bike and had many accidents.

Anyway he may be stern but he has his heart in the right place. Here's to you Dad for being you, one in a million.


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful posting! Give my regards to your dad, from Cairo, Egypt. I guess he doesn't get greetings from here very often! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of "Tribute Tuesday". It has been neat hearing about you growing up. You have such cool parents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BLOGitse - I bet he hasn't!!! Thank you and I will give those regards.

    Matt - Thanks. I probably have a million plus embarrassing stories to tell about me growing up and God help me if my parents ever work out how to do a blog as they'd probably keep you entertained for decades with all I did. I don't think they even know how to leave a comment here hehehehehe I'm safe... I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember staying up to fix your bike - must have been mum, you know, the same one who tied you to the chair and celotaped your mouth when you wouldn't sit still and shut up (nothing changes). Did I mention bribing the examiner? Only joking really, probably had to go and buy a new bike that looked the same.

    ReplyDelete