Friday 6 November 2009

Life through a lens - Callum Part I

Callum

One of my favourite subjects to photograph is my son Callum. If you look through my flickr photostream he will probably be the subject I have most photos of. lol. Sometimes he is a willing participant and others not so willing and then there are the "secret shots" I get of him. I'm often asked which is my favourite photo of him and to this date I've never been able to narrow it down to just one and then of course my favourites can often change. There are some that I like because the capture the essence of Callum, there are some I like because it's just a good shot and there are some I like because it reminds me of the moment I caught that photo.

Here's a selection of a few of my favourite and why I like them.


Callum and Dash.

These two have a love/hate relationship. You'd never guess from this photo (well OK maybe you would by the fact it looks like Callum looks more like he is strangling the dog than hugging him) that they do but boy have they had some fall outs. Callum actually asked the other week if we could put Dash up for sale on EBay so that the money raised he could use to help save endangered animals. Hubby pointed out the flaw in this plan by saying they would be lucky to get just £1 for the dog and that wouldn't help the pandas out much. And don't be fooled by the husband, he loves the dog! Anyway I love this photo because both Callum and Dash have a nervous energy about them and it is so hard to get them on their own to stay still for a photo let alone together, this is one of those rare moments.


Summer Fun

Do you see how muddy that pool is? Do you see the bit of grass stuck in his hair? And do you see the bug he's is so interested in? I know all kids get dirty, muddy, play with buys etc, but I'm sure my little monkey monster is the best at it. Seriously that paddling pool had only been filled up a few hours before and look at how dirty he got it, but he doesn't even care he's sitting in a paddling pool full of dirt, stones, grass and lots of bugs. lol. I look at this and think "Yep that's my boy." What I also love about this shot is how long his eye-lashes look. One of the first things people comment on about Callum is his big blue eyes and his very long eye-lashes, seriously he has eye-lashes to make any girl jealous.


No, no, no, no, no!

See he isn't always co-operative, but I can use that to my advantage sometimes. lol. Also this shot reminds me of how he can always get rips in the knees of his jeans but that won't stop him from wearing them, heck even when we had snow earlier this year, enough to shut down the schools, he still went out to play in the snow with jeans on just barely held together at the knees by a thread. Another thing... the boy doesn't stop growing, he costs us a small fortune in jeans, trousers etc.


Snow is my favourite and my best

Although technically this photo isn't good it is one of my all time favourite shots. These two loved the snow so much and I just couldn't get them indoors. Callum threw snowballs at Dash who jumped up and wanted more thrown at him. It's what childhood is about.


An ill spider-callum

This is one of hubby's favourite. He looks at it and tells me it's just a brilliant photo. It's also a rarity to get a shot of Callum like this, even ill he never rests up.


My own little water babe

Everyone I know who sees this photo loves it... and then they ask how wet my camera and I got. Not a drop on either, that's what a zoom lens is for. There is so much to love about this shot and it's one of those "secret shots". It was a hot summer's day, not a cloud in site and the sprinkler on with music blasting out in the background and my little monkey monster enjoying playing with the water. He'd keep running and jumping over and through the sprinkler and giggling away. I look at this and think what it would be like to be a kid again and enviously wish in a way I could.

So there you have it a few of my favourite shots. I have a lot more but I didn't want to bore you rest assured though I'll do another of my favourite shots post.

3 comments:

  1. He has such the prettiest eyes. You have such a talent with the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the shot with your son & Dash - a boy and his dog, how precious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt - Thanks! Those eyes of his melt a million hearts... and fool so many people into thinking he's an angel. lol. And thank you for the comment, I still have a long long way to go with the photography but I'm enjoying trying to get there. Now if you want talent you should check out KalaMarie's blog, now that is talent!

    KalaMarie - thank you, when I do manage to capture a shot of those two together I do love it. I really should start a scarpbook up for Callum with those shots in. lol.

    ReplyDelete